Joel P. Gumbiner was admitted to the California Bar in 1983 after receiving his J.D., with honors, from the University of San Francisco School of Law, where he received the American Jurisprudence Award, Law Review Comment of the Year Award, was a member of the McAuliffe Honor Society, and served as Articles Editor, USF Law Review, Volume 17, 1982-1983. For more than thirty years, Mr. Gumbiner has litigated cases involving insurance coverage and "Bad Faith," real estate and property damage [including landslide, flood, earthquake, construction defect, transactional misrepresentation], and complex injury matters. He has extensive trial and appellate experience in these areas and has written and lectured on insurance-related issues for more than twenty years.
Mr. Gumbiner has represented commercial and individual policyholders in every type of insurance litigation since 1983 including trials, appeals, arbitrations, mediations. He has obtained many multi-million dollar results for clients and has litigated several major California insurance cases including the landmark California Supreme Court case of Garvey v. State Farm. Mr. Gumbiner has also represented insured clients in insurance disputes outside of litigation including coverage opinion letters, "examinations under oath", insurance "Appraisal" hearings and direct claims handling and settlements with commercial and personal lines insurance companies. Mr. Gumbiner has also litigated and tried cases involving landslides, floods, personal injury, construction defect and employment discrimination cases in state and federal courts in California and Nevada.
Mr. Gumbiner has served as an expert witness on insurance coverage and claims handling in litigation, and has been named as a party "Appraiser" in first party property insurance "Appraisals" in California and Arizona. He has also served as court-appointed arbitrator mediator and discovery facilitator in the San Francisco and Marin County Superior Courts.
Mr. Gumbiner has served on the Marin County Bar Association Board of Directors for eight years and served as MCBA President in 2013. Mr. Gumbiner has also served on other Boards, including two years as president, of the Central Marin Pop Warner Football. He has also served on the Congregation Rodef Sholom Religious School Board of Trustees, and has coached youth sports and high school Mock Trial teams for more the past 14 years.
- Insurance Coverage Matters
- Insurance Issues
- Flood & Landslide Damage
- Transportation Freight & Storage
- University of San Francisco School of Law, San Francisco, California
- J.D. - 1983
- Honors: With Honors
- Honors: American Jurisprudence Award
- Honors: Law Review Comment of the Year Award
- Honors: Member, McAuliffe Honor Society
- California, 1983
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1983
- Northern California’s Super Lawyers
- Board of the Central Marin Pop Warner Football Organization
- President, Central Marin Pop Warner Football Organization
- Board of Congregation Rodef Sholom in Marin County
- Chairman of the Religious School Board of Trustees
- Garvey v. State Farm
- American Bar Association
- Marin County Bar Association
- San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association
- Marin County Bar Association, President, 2013
- Marin County Bar Association, Board of Directors